WHITE POND WATER USE ADVISORY ISSUED
A public health advisory has been issued for White Pond due to a bloom of cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) exceeding MA Department of Public Health (MDPH) recreational guidelines. These blooms may produce toxins that can make pets and people sick.
The Concord Board of Health strongly advises:
• Do not swim
• Do not allow your pet to swim in or drink the water.
• Rinse pets and children off immediately if they come into contact with an algae bloom.
• Avoid contact with areas of algae concentration- even on shore.
• Do not swallow water and be sure to rinse off after contact.
Blue-green algae can form harmful blooms in lakes, ponds, and rivers that make the water murky, and can sometimes make the water look like pea soup or paint. The current bloom (7/8/15) in White Pond appears like a mustard-color floating scum.
Blue-green algae blooms can produce toxins that can make pets and people sick. Toxins may be present within the algae cells or in the water.
• For humans, the primary concern is ingestion of water containing blue-green algae while swimming. Of secondary concern is direct skin contact with the blue-green algae and inhalation of water droplets containing blue-green algae or toxins.
• For pets, the primary concern is the ingestion of water containing blue-green algae or scum that has washed ashore or gotten onto their skin or fur.
Contact can cause skin and eye irritation, and inhalation can cause respiratory irritation and exacerbate pre-existing respiratory conditions. Toxins are not absorbed through the skin. Ingestion of blue-green algae can cause acute gastrointestinal symptoms, such as vomiting and diarrhea. If the blue-green algae are producing toxin(s), the health effects can be more serious, especially for small pets due to their smaller body weights. Ingestion of the toxins can cause acute gastrointestinal distress and, depending on the specific toxin, can affect the functioning of the liver, kidneys, and/or neurological systems and in severe cases can result in death.
PETS--Call your vet immediately if your pet has been around an algae bloom and shows symptoms such as vomiting, staggering , drooling, or convulsions. These symptoms present themselves fairly quickly after exposure. Animals of most concern are dogs. They have been known to eat the scum that washes ashore and/or lick scum out of their fur. In Massachusetts and in many other states, canine fatalities have been documented due to the ingestion of harmful algae.
When will this advisory be lifted?
Algae blooms may last for weeks in the summer, or may disappear quite quickly. Town staff will regularly observe White Pond for the presence of a visible algae bloom over the coming weeks. Water sampling will occur at least weekly while the algae bloom persists, and for several weeks after it is no longer visible. MDPH recommends that the recreational water advisory not be lifted until two consecutive weekly samples show algal cell counts below the safe limit of 70,000 cells/milliliter of water.
For more information, call the Concord Board of Health at 978 318 3275
MA Department of Public Health, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and US EPA websites provide further information on blue-green algae blooms: